The Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR) was established in February 1967 to be responsible for handling scientific research tasks in addition to developing technology and offering technical advice. KISR also develops human resources for the national needs and supports the economic and social development in the State of Kuwait. The purpose of establishing KISR according to the Amiri Decree of 1981, Law No. 28:
1. Conduct scientific research, in coordination with local authorities, for the advancement of national industry and for the protection of the environment.
2. Encourage Kuwaiti youth to seek careers in science and technology.
3. Explore natural resources including energy and water, improve agricultural methods and develop local aquaculture.
4. Provide scientific and technical research and services to public and private institutions.
5. Keep abreast of the latest scientific and technological developments, and to adapt them to local conditions.
6. Establish cooperative relations with higher educational institutes and centers of scientific and technological research in Kuwait and in other countries.
7. Study methods of diversifying national revenues and economic development.
8. Pursue studies and prepare research concerning all the fields where KISR specializes and respond to local needs for expertise and contribute to development in the Arabian Gulf, in particular, and in the Arab world, in general.
KISR cooperates with other technical institutions and authorities to develop scientific projects and research, and ask the government to establish specialized companies to produce and market its scientific innovations.
KISR is ranked between the top research institutes in the Region and the arid zone of the World.
Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research - Water Resources Division © 2005 - 2008. All Rights Reserved.